No products in the cart.
Fuen Chin is an artist who grew up in Kedah state, Malaysia. Her art takes inspiration from horticulture which is a nostalgic reflection of her childhood. Both her late grandparents were Chinese from Southern China with backgrounds in Chinese herbs and medicine, running a small herbal shop. It was there where Fuen learnt the importance of Chinese herbs and the stories around them. It is these stories and her visions about plants that provides an endless inspiration for the calligraphic floral paintings.
Starting out as a self-taught artist, Chin eventually studied a Fine Art research degree at the Royal College of Art. She has worked on an art installations, citing the following response from the panel of judges: ‘We very much enjoyed your proposal and presentation and thought there were a lot of interesting possibilities that may emerge from your works.’
She continues to work and develop her calligraphic paintings using Chinese ink within a more contemporary context.
Sungai Petani BOLEH – a virtual exhibition of Hypermorph Garden 4.0 at the Mangroves Forest Reserve.
Sungai Petani BOLEH is a project that it showcased Hypermorph Garden 4.0 painting series at Jetty Semeling in Sungai Petani, Kedah State in Malaysia. This project is supported by Sungai Petani Municipal Council, Cultural Economy Development Agency and MyCreative Venture Sdn. Bhd.
Hypermorph Garden 4.0 is a series of paintings featuring flora, fauna and historical narratives of the mangrove forest reserve at Jetty Semeling. The forest has splendid salt-tolerant trees. It provides a buffer zone to protect the land from wind and wave damage. Through this series of paintings, Fuen hopes to (1) introduce the mangroves forest reserve in Sungai Petani; (2) promote the green nature, historical attractions nearby the location; (3) encourage to reduce waste disposal to protect the nature.
The paintings were exhibited inside a dome tent situated at the jetty. Diameter of the dome tent was 10meters. The hemispherical space of the tent created an immersive environment with impressive peripheral vision to exhibit Hypermorph Garden 4.0 series. The series has 15 pieces of mixed media paintings, which the content on each canvas is interconnected to each other, to elaborate scenes around the mangrove forest. Each canvas is W122 x H152.5cm. The 15 pieces make the interconnected width to become 1,830cm.
- Hypermorph Garden 3.0 series, marketing campaign supported by MyCreative Venture Sdn. Bhd. Malaysia. 2021
- Hypermorph Garden 2.0 Virtual Exhibition supported by CENDANA, Malaysia under Create Now programme.
- Hypermorph Garden is a mixed media painting (1) shortlisted for the Octopus Energy Art Prize 2019/20 ‘Portraits from the Precipice’, UK; and (2) selected for TOP 100 Social Art Award 2021, Germany. It is now sold to a private collector in the United State.
- Calligraphic Floral Paintings by Fuen Chin, Public Showcase – Storytelling through writing, drawing, painting, marking, singing, dancing, playing with the calligraphic brushstrokes. Date: 5 Nov 2019 – 15 May 2020. Venue: Vintners Place, 68, Upper Thames Street, London EC4V 3BJ
- Storytelling the Void in the Chinese Pictographic Writing System Installation: Wall Painting with Audio. Date: 10 – 13 Sept 2018. Venue: Courtyard Galleries, London. SW7 2EU
- The Storytelling Wardrobe II – Inheritance, Death, Absurdity I, Pause I, Absurdity II, Pause II. Installation: Interconnected Paintings with Audio. Date: 23 – 29 April 2018. Venue: Royal College of Art, Battersea campus.
- The Storytelling Wardrobe Installation: Painting and Chinese Calligraphy on the Wall. Date: 19 – 21 Jan 2018. Venue: Royal College of Art, Dyson Building, Battersea, London SW11 4AN
- Hypermorph Garden being selected for Social Art Award – Top 100 Book by Institute for Art and Innovation e.V., Germany.
- Yusri, S. (2020). #KnowTheArtist – Fuen Chin. Singapore: Fiidaa Art Consulting.
- Polycarpou,E. (2020). Fuen Chin- Artist Interview. London, UK: ARTful Art Consulting.
- Soo,N. (2020). City Spotlight: Kuala Lumpur #ArtInMyCity. Singapore: The Artling.
Reed,S. (2020). Fuen Chin at Vinters Place in London – too gorgeous to miss! London, UK: The Net Gallery.
Unwin, R. (2020). A Journey in Ink and Cloth: An Interview with Net Gallery member Fuen Chin. London, UK: The Net Gallery.
Polycarpou,E. (2019). Fuen Chin exhibiting at Vintners Place London. London, UK: ARTful Art Consulting.
Kensington Galleries/ Master of Research RCA: Fine Art & Humanities Pathway. (2018) Storytelling [Brochure]. London, UK: Royal College of Art.
Chin, F. (2018). The Storytelling Wardrobe: The Shahtoosh Shawl. Prova: RCA Humanities Research Forum Journal, Issue 4, 234-235. ISBN: 978-1-910642-03-0
Chin, F. (2016). Craftsmanship: The Storytelling Wardrobe. Fashion Index 2016: MA Fashion, Issue 3, cover,12-15, 45-46, back cover.
St James Hatcham Gallery /Fashion and Embodiment Workshop. (2016) Image credit: The Storytelling Wardrobe [Flyer]. London, UK.
Chin, F. (2016). Other responses to hope and fear: Imaginary Friend. Hopes and Fears: Open Book Project, Issue 1, 60-61.
Chin, F. (1999, June). The Madness of Ophelia Womenswear Collection. [Magazine]. Newtide 新潮, 62.